In your garage/workshop
- Rent or borrow any items that are only occasionally used, such as ladders, camping gear or power tools
- Buy nails and screws in bulk and store in old glass jars
- Recycle any leftover liquid paint or aerosol paint containers*
- Reuse good leftover paint for projects. Leftover paint is available in different quantities at a low price at most paint stores. Or try the paint exchange at CVRD Recycling Depots or any Product Care facility (located at your local Bottle Depot Return-It Centre).
- Reuse glass jars for storing paint or used paint thinner, or for soaking and cleaning brushes (you can reuse the thinner when contents settle to the bottom)
- Tightly wrap paint brushes used for oil-based paint projects and freeze until needed - there’s no need to wash first!
- Recycle leftover solvents and fuels*
- Recycle used vehicle batteries*
- Return used motor oil, oil containers, oil filters and antifreeze*
- All clean drywall, concrete and scrap metal is recyclable*
- Compost untreated wood shavings or sawdust as a source of carbon in your backyard composter, or drop off up to 5 gallons per visit to the CVRD’s Bings Creek Recycling Depot.
- Reuse old rags/towels for clean-up, staining, etc.
* Most of these items can be recycled for free at any CVRD Recycling Depot.
See also these tips about reducing hazardous waste at work.